Occasionally, Aston Martins encounter issues with shifting gears. Gear shifting is controlled by the transmission, and if it’s not working properly, it could mean that your car will be unable to get up to speed when it needs to or will suddenly change gears while driving down the road. This indicates that there may be a problem with the transmission in your vehicle and if left unfixed can lead to serious consequences, including car accidents.
To help you diagnose and fix gear shifting problems, we’re going to talk about some of the common signs to watch out for and discuss where you can go to get help when you run into problems. Let’s dive in.
Signs of Transmission Problems and Gear Shifting Issues
The Aston Martin Sportshift transmission is designed with driver ease in mind. It’s lighter, allowing for greater efficiency and responsiveness. However, one major downside of this engine is that in certain models, it is prone to fail before its time. If you catch the problem early enough, however, you can take the vehicle to an experienced Aston Martin technician and they will be able to fix the problem for you. Below are some signs you should watch out for:
- Transmission warning light: When a warning light shows up on your dashboard, you shouldn’t ignore it. While sometimes it might just be nothing, often this light is an indication of a potential problem with your transmission that needs to be fixed as soon as possible. This is particularly true if the light comes on and you’re experiencing any of the other symptoms listed below.
- Gear slippage: Gear slippage occurs when you are driving down the road at a steady speed and gear, and the car suddenly shifts into a different gear even though your speed has not changed. Often, you’ll be able to tell when a gear slips because the car will suddenly jerk or lurch, and the sound of the engine may change, becoming higher pitched.
- Trouble shifting or accelerating: If your Aston Martin is having transmission problems, you may notice that you can’t get up to speed as fast as you normally should. And, even if the gear doesn’t shift randomly, you might feel a jerky sensation, often accompanied by a clunk, when trying to shift into a higher or lower gear.
- Leaking transmission fluid: As a general rule, if you see anything leaking out of your vehicle’s undercarriage, this is a cause for concern. This is doubly true for transmission fluid, since that is what allows your car to shift smoothly between gears and then maintain those gears once they reach them.
If you don’t have enough transmission fluid, it can cause the gear slipping and rough shifting that we discussed in the last two bullet points. Typically, transmission fluid should be bright red or dark red, so if you notice red fluid pooling under your car, you need to take the vehicle to the shop immediately.
- Delayed engagement: This is when you shift your car from park into drive or reverse, then press the gas, and instead of moving, the engine simply revs for a moment before suddenly lurching as the transmission catches up and shifts into the right gear. Normally, there should be no delay between shifts like this.
Dangers of a Failing Transmission
Your Aston Martin’s transmission is one of the most important parts of a car’s system, so if you notice any of these problems, you should not ignore them. Gear slipping and rough shifting aren’t just inconvenient, they can also be dangerous in situations where you need to be able to rely on your car’s ability to get up to speed efficiently.
Encore Motorcars Will Fix Your Gear Shifting Issues
Luckily, if you live in Sarasota, Florida, or any of its surrounding towns, such as Bradenton, Ellenton, Nokomis, Osprey, Parrish, Venice, Lakewood Ranch, Longboat Key, Siesta Key, or University Park, the experts at Encore Motorcars would be happy to assist you.
Aston Martins are uniquely crafted vehicles that require specialized care, and our ASE-certified technicians have decades of experience working with this brand and other foreign brands. If you’d like to bring your Aston Martin in for service or learn more about what we offer, please call or visit us today.