Your Jaguar’s check engine light is intended to warn you about issues with your car’s most important components. The job of this indicator is to ensure you’re informed about any possible issues that you aren’t aware of or can’t see but will negatively impact your Jaguar. In this article, we’ll take a deep look at causes and signs of check-engine light troubles in your Jaguar and what you can do about them.
Prominent Causes of an Illuminated Check Engine Light
When your check engine light turns on, it means there’s a problem. A flashing check engine light, in most situations, signals that there is an immediate problem that could result in a serious engine failure or mishap of essential components. While a solid check engine light may be put off long enough to drive to a shop and have it inspected during an appointment, a flashing check engine light should always be addressed immediately.
Here are some of the most common causes of a check engine light, along with symptoms:
- Faulty Sensors: The sensors in your car send messages to the onboard computer to keep your systems running in sync. When sensors begin to fail, you may notice the check engine light on your dashboard turn on without any obvious problems. Conversely, if a sensor fails but a component truly is malfunctioning, this could lead to major problems if it’s not caught because the sensor isn’t reporting the problem.
- Failure of the Catalytic Converter: Over time, your catalytic converter can become clogged with material, especially in Jaguar’s with higher mileage. Because it removes hazardous carbon monoxide, your catalytic converter is a vital part of the emissions system. A damaged or clogged catalytic converter can significantly reduce the fuel economy and proper efficiency of your vehicle.
- Faulty Fuel Injectors: This causes an extremely harsh engine idle that gets worse as it’s left stationary longer. Leaking gas can also be caused by a faulty fuel injector.
- Misfires in Multiple Cylinders: Misfires can cause jerky acceleration or shakiness, along with unpleasant smells coming from your exhaust pipe. Misfires are usually a symptom that the engine timing is off. If misfires occur often and cause a lot of problems, it could be a sign of something more serious, such as a catalytic converter failure.
- Faulty Coils and Spark Plugs: Faulty spark plugs can cause the above-mentioned misfires. If the ignition coils or spark plugs are worn or broken, you will hear unusual engine noises and acceleration problems from your engine. This will absolutely trigger your check engine warning light.
- Damaged/Loose Gas Cap: One of the first things to check when your engine light comes on is if your gas cap is missing, cracked, or loose. Reduced gasoline pressure allows fuel vapors to escape, reducing fuel economy and increasing harmful emissions. This will trigger the warning light, but it’s the easiest way to fix the problem.
- Aftermarket Items: If an aftermarket alarm or exhaust is not installed properly, it can cause the check engine light to come on. These aftermarket parts and accessories can drain the battery and possibly prevent the vehicle from starting. Bring your vehicle to a reputable auto shop if these issues appear to be serious, and our professional technicians will check to verify whether your aftermarket parts were installed correctly and ensure they aren’t causing any issues. Getting parts, particularly aftermarket accessories, or using OEM components first may cost a little more upfront, but it could save you money in the long run by avoiding poor performance and damage caused by poor installation.
Encore Motors Will Inspect Your Jaguar’s Check Engine Light
Bring your Jaguar to our professional repair shop when your check engine light turns on, or have it towed here if it starts flashing! Allowing the situation to worsen could lead to more serious issues that will be even costlier to repair. Don’t ignore your car’s warning indicators for your safety, the safety of others, and the longevity of your Jaguar model.
Encore Motorcars is your one-stop shop for great auto repair and maintenance whether you live in or around Bradenton, Ellenton, Nokomis, Osprey, Parrish, Venice, Lakewood Ranch, Longboat Key, Siesta Key, University Park, or Sarasota, FL.
For all your automotive needs, we are committed to offering outstanding service. As a result, you’ll never have to worry about who to trust with your Jaguar model. We’ll take care of your Jaguar and get you cruising on the road again quickly in like-new condition!