A common issue that drivers experience when they skip regular maintenance is metal shavings in the oil. Many Porsche owner’s don’t realize how the metal gets into their oil or the complications involved. Let’s take a closer look at how these tiny pieces of metal enter into the oil system.
Are metal shavings in my oil a normal occurrence?
Metal shavings in engine oil is normal to a certain degree. The quantity and kind of metal shavings determine if there is a problem.
Normal everyday use of your Porsche can leave behind very tiny shavings with normal wear and tear. These pieces are so small that they are typically not visible to the naked eye. However, if the metal shavings are visible and large, now there is an issue.
Finding the metal shavings early is critical for preventing major problems. Having regular maintenance and oil changes performed will give your mechanic the opportunity to locate the metal particles. Oil is necessary for lubricating many different components. Running your Porsche with old and contaminated oil can lead to severe issues. Large metal shavings can cause engine damage and complete failure, so it’s important to maintain your engine oil properly.
Signs Your Need to Change Your Oil
If your oil is contaminated, it can severely impact the performance of your Porsche. When you regularly drive a vehicle, you know how it acts. When it begins to perform differently, give us a call. We can run diagnostics and locate the problem. We listed some common indications of oil contamination below:
- Idles Roughly: Clean oil is important for a smooth-running engine. Dirt and debris will produce friction between the components. The friction created can cause your Porsche to idle roughly.
- Loss of Power: If you notice that Your Porsche is not as powerful as it once was, you may need an oil change. Contaminated oil can make your car accelerate slower and feel sluggish. Dirty engine oil can make your engine work harder.
- Knocking Sounds: When the oil is contaminated, it can lead to friction between components. The friction will damage the parts and generate metal shavings. These shavings and oil are recirculated through the engine which can cause knocking sounds.
- Ticking Noises: The engine needs proper lubrication to run smoothly. When there is a lack of lubrication the engine can produce ticking noises.
- Illuminated Check Engine Light: The check engine light in your Porsche can be triggered by many issues. If your check engine light comes on, bring it into Encore Motorcars for service. Our technicians will run a diagnostic scan to determine the cause of the problem.
Preventative Maintenance is Essential
Porsche has put a lot of time and research into designing your maintenance schedule. Following the recommendations for service is essential for keeping your vehicle in proper working order. Regular oil changes are inexpensive and can prevent future failures and expensive service bills. Continuing to run your car with contaminated oil can cause permanent engine damage and serious side effects.
We are Here to Help
Small amounts of metal shavings are normal. However, large fragments are not. At Encore Motorcars of Sarasota, we can perform a thorough exam to determine where the metal shavings are originating.
You do not have to go to the dealership to have your Porsche serviced. Our expert mechanics will provide the same dealership quality service at a fraction of the cost. We are dedicated to helping you with all your Porsche needs. From regular maintenance, minor services to major repairs, we have you covered.
Our Porsche services include:
- A/C Service & Repair
- Battery Replacement
- Brake Service & Repair
- Check Engine Light Maintenance
- Clutch Repair
- Convertible Top Repair
- Diagnostic Inspections
- Engine Repairs
- Factory Scheduled Services
- Fluid Checks & Changes
- Mileage Specific Maintenance
- Oil Change Services
- Oil Leak Repairs
- Preventative Maintenance
- Suspension Repairs
- Tire Services
- Transmission Repairs
- Wheel Alignments
Call Us Today for all Your Service Needs
Our expert, ASE-certified mechanics at Encore Motorcars of Sarasota will handle all your Porsche service needs. With proper service and maintenance, you can help to ensure your Porsche stays in perfect condition.
We are conveniently located for drivers in Bradenton, Ellenton, Nokomis, Osprey, Parrish, Venice, Lakewood Ranch, Longboat Key, Siesta Key, University Park, and Sarasota, FL. To book your service, call our Encore Motorcars service center at 941-922-6337 or come see us at 6000 S. Tamiami Trail.