Acura was the first luxury car brand designed and manufactured in Japan. The brand has, over the years, maintained its standing as one of the most reliable car brands in the world. In this article, we will look at one of the important components of an Acura: the gearbox.
The Gearbox System in an Acura
The gearbox is the part of your car that transmits the power from the vehicle engine to other parts of the car so that the car can move. The two types of gearboxes, namely the manual gearbox and the automatic gearbox system.
- Manual gearbox system: This type of gearbox is used in cars built with an internal combustion engine. Gear is selected in the manual system with the use of a gear stick. Hence, the name manual gearbox system.
- Automatic gearbox system: The automatic gearbox automatically changes the gear ratio as the car is in motion without the driver changing it manually.
Symptoms of Gearbox Complication in your Acura
- Whining and clunking sound: You may notice a low humming, whining, or buzzing sound when you change the gear. Sometimes, the sound may rise to a loud clunking sound.
- Failure of the car to respond: If your car fails to respond after engaging the gears, it could be a sign of a gearbox problem. If you use an automatic gearbox, you would notice a delay when you put the gear in the drive or park. While in the manual system, the engine RPM would increase when the gear is shifted, but the car would not move as far as it should.
- Burning smell: The parts of your gearbox are usually cooled and greased by transmission fluids so that they do not wear out or eventually become damaged. Sometimes this fluid may overheat, or you may be using bad fluid; this would cause the transmission system to overheat and mostly corrode. If this happens, you would notice a burning smell.
- Fluid leak: Sometimes, problems in the gearbox of your Acura may be evident from leakage of the transmission fluid from the system.
- Grinding gears: If you hear a noise or you notice a grinding feeling from the vehicle when the gear is shifted, this is a signal that the gearbox needs to be either adjusted or replaced. In the automatic transmission, you would notice a delay, or the transmission would start to shake.
- Noise from the engine when in neutral: When you notice a jerk or a bumping sound when your vehicle is in neutral, this could be a result of problems in the gearbox.
- Check engine light: The check engine comes up when there is an underlying problem in your car, such as a transmission system problem.
- Slipping gears: When the gear is shifted either automatically or manually, it should remain in that position. If you notice that it shifts from its position while you are driving, that is a very big issue that must be fixed as soon as possible because it can lead to serious damage.
- Dragging Clutch: This issue occurs only in the manual system. If after you press the clutch pedal, the clutch disk refuses to disengage, this is a sign of a transmission problem because as long as the clutch is still spinning, the gear would not shift.
Causes of Gearbox Problems in Acura
Knowing the causes of problems in the gearbox would help you know and understand how to prevent your gearbox from failing.
- Low or leaking transmission fluid: When the transmission fluid level drops, this could cause serious damage to the gearbox.
- Worn-out gears: When any part of the gear wears out, it would cause a serious problem.
- Clogged transmission filter: When the transmission filter is blocked, it would prevent the transmission from flowing through to the gearbox, and this would cause serious damage.
Encore Motorcars Will Resolve Your Acura Gearbox Complications
Encore Motorcars is the best repair shop to fix any issue with the gearbox of your Acura. We will run a diagnostic check of your car gearbox to determine the cause to know what solution we would provide. Our maintenance and repair service is provided to those who live or work in Longboat Key, Bradenton, Siesta Key, Parrish, Nokomis, Osprey, Ellenton, Venice, University Park, Lakewood Ranch, Sarasota, FL.
We have the most qualified, ASE-certified mechanics whose commitment is to provide your car with the best repair and maintenance service. Apart from Acura, we also provide service to Jaguar, BMW, Porsche, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Audi, Mini, and Land Rover brands. Call us or visit our shop today to book an appointment!